forgot password register

reset password

patrick.net

#misc

#housing #investing #politics #random more»
771,473 comments by 11,157 registered users, 6 online now: Heraclitusstudent, home, jazz_music, joeyjojojunior, Quigley, TwoScoopsMcGee
new post
« prev   misc   next »

Music: What are you listening to this evening?

By jvolstad following x   2017 Mar 20, 8:50pm 15,488 views   431 comments   watch   quote     share

« First    « Previous     Comments 392 - 431 of 431     Last »

392 BayAreaObserver   2017 Sep 26, 5:42pm   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote

Abbey Road is the eleventh studio album by the Beatles, released on 26 September 1969 by Apple Records. The recording sessions for the album were the last in which all four Beatles participated. Although Let It Be was the final album that the Beatles completed before the band's dissolution in April 1970, most of the album had been recorded before the Abbey Road sessions began.
394 anonymous   2017 Sep 27, 12:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
395 anonymous   2017 Sep 27, 12:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
396 anonymous   2017 Sep 27, 12:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
397 HEY YOU   2017 Sep 27, 4:24pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
Great beat,easy to dance to.Excellent dining music.
399 TwoScoopsMcGee   2017 Sep 27, 8:48pm   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
New Order's Blue Monday, performed only with 1930s Instruments.
400 jazz_music   2017 Sep 28, 11:41am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
BayAreaObserver says
Not a huge country fan

Did you know that they are now calling it "Americana" and it sounds a lot more like rock now?
401 BayAreaObserver   2017 Sep 28, 2:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
@jazz_music going to guess you are old enough to recall Charlie Pride.

Back in the day I used to do my winters (break from the Merchant Seaman gig) in the Florida Panhandle and I vividly recall the comments about what a wonderful Country singer he was - when the same people found he was Black - let's just say the wonderful died quite a bit and they came up with new handle for him that doesn't warrant repeating here....

Anyway I do have a small but decent collection of country - not Americana. The only music genres I never got into was progressive jazz and atonal music. Opera is still my favorite, Callas still reigns supreme but I know there is not much interest in that here so I post things from my other likings.
404 HEY YOU   2017 Sep 29, 10:28am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
My good friend is in critical condition,don't think she will make it.
Hope you can come to America's memorial service.
405 jazz_music   2017 Sep 29, 10:39am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
@BayAreaObserver I too do not enjoy the more dissonant styles of jazz that came out in the 1960's. They were expressing a reaction to a crazy world of imbalance and irony and rebelling against playing minstrel for a bunch of white people oblivious to their privileged status and demanding musicians play pleasantly while the white people enjoyed their more privileged lives in front of them, the less privileged.

Most of that genre was very expressive but hard to enjoy unless you were a fellow jazz musician appreciating the discipline on the instruments.
406 jazz_music   2017 Sep 29, 10:41am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
@BayAreaObserver opera is kind of the ultimate so I understand your appreciation there. Most people find it as hard to relate to as progressive jazz. LOL

There are cultural barriers and stereotypes that divide people for sure. Same thing goes for country music. How about that?
407 jazz_music   2017 Sep 29, 11:49am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
Western Swing
aaaH! HAAaaaaaa

Due to marriage more than location I developed a taste for country music too.

Typically to a musician the roots of the music is an interesting subject. Bob Wills band brought the Hawaiian guitar to country music. They also caused the invention of the "C melody" sax to facilitate playing horns in typical easy-play "guitar keys." Bob Wills And The Texas Playboys were a major draw with national prominence during the depression and recovery years and many musicians wished to tour with his band.
409 BayAreaObserver   2017 Sep 29, 2:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
@jazz_music My father used to talk about Bob Wills and many others all of the time. The vast majority of my C&W is from pre 1980. Going to guess you heard this before...

410 jazz_music   2017 Sep 29, 3:10pm   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
BayAreaObserver says
guess you heard this before...

My awareness of country music is sketchy but deep in maybe a few artists. My second wife came from a country music family in Iowa and so I learned more through her. Over 50 years coastal SoCal so this culture was ironically alien to me. --I understand is about as mainstream as it gets.
411 TwoScoopsMcGee   2017 Sep 29, 9:17pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
This actually happened. Doctor Who, the KLF, and Gary Glitter. With Samples from "Blockbuster" by The Sweet.

Gary Glitter at 1:40

25 years on and I still can't decide if genius or gloriously bad.
412 TwoScoopsMcGee   2017 Sep 29, 10:02pm   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
And continuing the interesting Synth Covers...

413 HEY YOU   2017 Oct 3, 11:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
Damn it! This brings out my Red Neck White Trash DNA!
416 BayAreaObserver   2017 Oct 6, 4:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
They wanted to know why I did what I did, Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world

417 Blurtman   2017 Oct 6, 4:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
To be played at maximum volume.
421 HEY YOU   2017 Oct 9, 12:42am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
Bay Area Observer @ 420
An alternate title: "It's All About You"

Completely forgot about Status Quo!
422 HEY YOU   2017 Oct 9, 12:48am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
Shake it one time for a dirty old man.
424 jazz_music   2017 Oct 10, 1:10pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote

Nice sounding performance!

I always liked the groove and the chorus of voices to this song. I never knew what they were singing.

Listen, my friends
Listen, my friends
Listen, my friends
Listen, my friends
Listen, my friends
Listen, my friends
Listen, my friends, you thought never but
Listen, my friends, I'm yours forever
Listen, my friends, won't leave you ever
Now my friends
What's gone down behind
No more rain
From where we came
Listen my love, get under the covers, yeah
Squeeze me real tight, all of your lovin'
Into the light, beneath and above ya
So out of sight, bein' in love!

It turns out that it is about what I figured it always was.
425 jazz_music   2017 Oct 10, 1:16pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
Super nice percussions and harmony from 1969 Bay Area.

This should be considered classic rockbut nooOOOoooo
426 jazz_music   2017 Oct 12, 4:36pm   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
Does it get any cooler than this live performance of the Yardbirds?

The introduction features an interlude that Jimmy Page used later in Dazed And Confused"
427 HEY YOU   2017 Oct 15, 12:37am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
What's he pushing & what are you accepting?
428 jazz_music   2017 Oct 15, 2:15pm   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote
Jimi Hendrix 24 hours before he died performed on this jam with Eric Burdon and War recorded at a club in England. go right to 59:00 to hear Jimi. The recording gets a lot better there too. Before then it's really rough.
429 rpanic01   2017 Oct 16, 10:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote

For the UK
431 Blurtman   2017 Oct 17, 5:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote
Good ole boys comin from miles around.

« First    « Previous     Comments 392 - 431 of 431     Last »

users   about   suggestions   source code   contact
topics   best comments   comment jail
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home