Firefox Propaganda

By CornPoptheOriginalGangster follow CornPoptheOriginalGangster   2019 Jun 11, 5:18pm 912 views   19 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

So I have a clean install on a new WIndows 10 laptop (needed for work). I had firefox installed, and each of the three times I open it, I get "Recommended sites" in Pocket.

Literally EVERYTHING recommended is Race, Gender, Sexuality.

Articles like this:

The 3 times I've opened Firefox, 7 of the 9 recommendations were all Identity PostModern Pap.

The ones that weren't, were still Earthy Crunchy BS, like this:
3   CornPoptheOriginalGangster   ignore (5)   2019 Jun 11, 5:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Heraclitusstudent says
Continue browsing patnet, it will reassign you to a more fitting echo bubble.

Heraclitus, I think you can grok the difference.

A generic browser containing 7 of 9 "Tending" Articles as "Identity Politics" is not the same as a politics Internet Forum. That the former is clearly biased to Woke Urban Professionals ("...and their allies") even though I guarantee that most firefox users are not SFBA/Seattle/LIC trendy yuppie types.
4   Patrick   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 11, 5:31pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

What real alternative is there to Firefox or Chrome?

Brave and Opera are based on the open source parts of Chrome. Maybe that's OK, but still gives Google a lot of power.
5   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2019 Jun 11, 5:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Maybe the programmers are woke millennials and put that stuff by default, but if it learns, it may change. The "trending" section may reflect actual probabilities of what people look at.
What I see is not 70% identity politics.
6   HEYYOU   ignore (34)   2019 Jun 11, 5:33pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"Recommended sites", anywhere,might just be propaganda.
I prefer the bullshit that comes directly out of the mouths of Reps & Dems.
7   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2019 Jun 11, 5:34pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Everything Google touches will vacuum clean your information.
Better use Firefox.
You can also create several profiles, thus isolating some of your browsing info. At least in theory.
8   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2019 Jun 11, 5:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Heraclitusstudent says
anti_forum

Not censorship, right?
9   just_dregalicious   ignore (2)   2019 Jun 11, 8:42pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yeah, I got sick of that pocket leftist shit too. I tried to figure out a way to change the content but there isn't. You can disable it though. So now when I open a new tab I don't see any of that pocket tripe.
10   just_dregalicious   ignore (2)   2019 Jun 11, 8:43pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Heraclitusstudent says
Not censorship, right?

I always wondered where those anti_forum strings come from. Is that from a flag? There is a spam string too but I don't see a button for that.
11   Rin   ignore (3)   2019 Jun 11, 9:23pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Close Firefox deleting all cookies, temp files, etc, periodically. Save your bookmarks in a textfile.

Use a VPN, so that your locality isn't being used for ads & services.

And finally, set your default search to DuckDuckGo.
13   Patrick   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 12, 7:37am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

just_dregalicious says

It's an option for moderators to classify comments with.

If you read javascript, you can see how the whole site works:

14   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2019 Jun 12, 7:45am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

just_dregalicious says

It gets flagged by anyone that finds a comment bad, and if it's also deemed bad by the moderators (I think personal, anti-forum, spam and there might be another) they select that reason and it posts that string and removes the comment. I may be off as I haven't personally moderated a comment in kind of a long time, but that's generally how it works.
15   6rdB   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 12, 8:09am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HonkpilledMaster says
Literally EVERYTHING recommended is Race, Gender, Sexuality.

May be related to your zipcode? I had fairly neutral recommendations.
16   Hircus   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 12, 8:30am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Brave and Opera are based on the open source parts of Chrome. Maybe that's OK

The Opera browser was sold to an iffy Chinese company a yr or 2 ago, and people are nervous about their intentions. I've been meaning to switch to Vivaldi, which is an open source spinoff made by the Opera browser co-founder. Think I'll try it right now actually.
17   Patrick   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 12, 8:37am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thanks for the tip about Vivaldi. I will try it too.

WookieMan says

Right, anyone can flag (unless they start abusing it). Then the comment shows up as "flagged" an a moderator reviews it. The moderator can unflag it, or mark it as personal, spam, anti-forum, etc.

Note that the comment is not actually deleted. It's just that it isn't shown to the public. The author can still view it by clicking the "edit" link. I should really have a way of getting notified that someone has edited a flagged comment. Maybe they removed whatever was personal and I should then unflag it. But currently, I don't even get notified of edited flagged comments
19   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (43)   2019 Jun 12, 3:39pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

All my Firefox recommendations are about cannibal chain saw massacres in Congo and the Sudan.