RIP Ross Perot

By HonkpilledMaster following x   2019 Jul 9, 8:00am 419 views   20 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

Ross Perot, best known for his third-party run in the 1992 presidential race, died on Tuesday. He was 89.

In a statement, his family said the world lost “a true American patriot and a man of rare vision, integrity and deep kindness:”

“The ground-breaking businessman and loving husband, brother, father and grandfather, passed away on July 9, 2019, at his home in Dallas, surrounded by his devoted family. He was 89 years old

Thank you, Mr. Perot. We would have avoided much trouble if you won in 1992.
1   RC2006   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 9, 8:04am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Wish he won.
2   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2019 Jul 9, 8:07am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I'm in, I'm out, I'm in, I'm out!

Sure wish he had half the balls Trump has. He would have stayed the course. Of course back then, he didn't have Twitter to use to usurp the Main Stream media trying to smear him into oblivion. He didn't want to squander millions in an uphill battle against the only 3 major TV networks working overtime to smear him as a crack pot lunatic. For suggesting that Globalization was going to destroy America. Ducacus and H. W. Bush both confirmed outsourcing our jobs was the best path forward for America. And the Big Three Networks didn't need nor want Ross meddling in their business.
3   Goran_K   ignore (3)   2019 Jul 9, 8:10am   ↑ like (7)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I remember hearing about how he hired a SpecOps team to save his employees when they were taken hostage. Been a fan of his ever since.
4   Quigley   ignore (0)   2019 Jul 9, 9:19am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

He was the first Trump. Better than Trump actually. A third party candidate unbeholden to the oligarchs who wanted to solve America’s problems with practical ideas. Problem was, we had it way too good back then, and most people weren’t interested in upsetting the status quo.
5   RC2006   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 9, 10:10am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I always thougt it seemed as if something spooked him out of race.
6   HEYYOU   ignore (30)   2019 Jul 9, 10:15am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

And asshole fuckwads have continued to elect Republicans & Democrats.
7   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2019 Jul 9, 10:17am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says
I always thougt it seemed as if something spooked him out of race.

He had no platform to project his message past the misinformation about him, the MSM was projecting about him in unison.

I remember while those in the know like Ross Perot. Most were misinformed about him, they thought he was a psycho crackpot.
I'm sure if he didn't drop out when he did, they would smeared him with Race Bait.

If you got the MSM saying you're only polling in the 3% range, you don't stand a chance. Even if it was more like 40%.

I remember many people that should have been practical and voted for Ross. All saying, he's polling at 3% he doesn't stand a chance.

That used to annoy the shit out of me. So many people that would actually like a sensible candidate, but wouldn't touch him because of their monkey see, monkey do mentality. It was and always has been like people opining on who they would like to see square off in the Super Bowl. Not about who they would actually like to see running the country.
8   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 9, 10:17am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

He was right about NAFTA.
9   RC2006   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 9, 10:19am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

He was right on most things.
10   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 9, 10:56am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says
I always thougt it seemed as if something spooked him out of race.

Perot did not want to win. He just wanted to take enough Republican votes so that Clinton would win.
11   WookieMan   ignore (3)   2019 Jul 9, 10:57am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Didn't even realize the guy was still alive. RIP I guess.
12   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Jul 9, 10:59am   ↑ like (6)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"Giant Sucking Sound"

To this day I remember Al Gore and Bill Clinton and Elder Bush swearing up and down that China and Mexico were going to buy billions of US Goods and create millions of high paying manufacturing jobs. Ha!
13   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2019 Jul 9, 11:04am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I remember the SNL skit where he was talking about making a batch of Tater Tots, but you never finish because soon as you fry a few and put them in the strainer, the rich and powerful grab them all up. So you never finished making enough Tater tots to go around to share with everyone.

Imagine NBC making mockery of the reason to not go forward with NAFTA.
14   OccasionalCortex   ignore (3)   2019 Jul 9, 12:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Don't cry for him.

Thanks to Perot, Bill Clinton 'won' the 1992 election despite 58% of voters voting against him.
15   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2019 Jul 9, 1:25pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OccasionalCortex says

See I have always been an independent voter. The stupidest thing a Democrat or a Republican can do is assume that if Ralph Nader or Ross Perot weren't in the races, we would have voted for Al Gore or H. W. Bush. I would have stayed my ass home, I don't vote for consolation prizes. I don't try to win the booby prize. This isn't the Deli Counter, and the candidates don't have Next in Line ticket for me.

Ross Perot lost in 92 because he was so fickle 4 years before, and nobody could take him seriously.
16   OccasionalCortex   ignore (3)   2019 Jul 9, 4:01pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says

Nope. Because the math supports this view.

Perot took more votes away from Daddy Bush than he did Clinton. These are folks in the exit interviews who said they they voted for Perot INSTEAD of Bush/Clinton. Not that they would have sat at home. You are the exception to this rule, you see.

Tenpoundbass says
I don't try to win the booby prize

If you vote for Perot or Nader or ANY third party candidate in a first-past-the-post election system, you are voting for the booby prize as mathematically it is impossible for such candidates to win. They can only cause one of the main party candidates to lose who wouldn't otherwise. Duverger's Law proves this and empirical historical evidence constantly backs it up.

Same law dictates that my vote in California for ANY offices elected statewide is a waste of my time, btw. I vote for Trump, Hillary wins. I vote for Mickey Mouse. Hillary wins. I stay home, Hillary wins. I off myself with a 38 special, Hillary wins. Ditto for whomever I vote for for Senator, Governor, Attorney General, Superintendent of Schools, Comptroller, Insurance Commissioner, etc. The Democrat will win, hands down.

...UNLESS the California Democrat Party splits into two for some reason. Then the Republican has a chance despite the majority of voters voting for someone else besides them.
17   just_dregalicious   ignore (0)   2019 Jul 9, 10:06pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I voted for him too. Definitely made the connection between him and Trump.

Though Trump isn't a short guy with a squeaky voice.

If I recall he backed out due to death threats to his family.
18   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 10, 3:32am   ↑ like (6)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I always admired Perot after he loudly and clearly objected to other candidates evading the questions.
19   clambo   ignore (4)   2019 Jul 10, 7:54am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I recall debates with Ross Perot v. Bush and Clinton; he unfortunately never had a chance for silly reasons of presidential politics; he was much shorter than the other two guys, and his voice was much higher and squeakier.

Tall guys win in politics, all things being equal.

They say in the debate between Nixon and Kennedy in 1960 those who heard it on the radio thought Nixon was the winner; those who saw it on TV thought Nixon looked like an undertaker in a police interview.

Perot was also abused by the media and unfortunately there was no way to circumvent them as there is today.

See how cleverly Trump uses things like Twitter? That twerp Kim is busted insulting Trump, Trump fires back with both barrels and the UK decide that Kim has to go.

I clearly recall Perot describing NAFTA: "Hear that giant sucking sound? That's our jobs going to Mexico."

What NAFTA wanted to accomplish was US farming would have access to the Mexico market while the US offshored some manufacturing to them.
The only "winners" in NAFTA and illegal alien invasion are farmers and others who hire illegals like construction trades and in S. Florida landscapers.
Every year I pay taxes and I figure out the head of lettuce I paid a dollar for really has cost me $100.
20   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2019 Jul 10, 8:13am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OccasionalCortex says
Nope. Because the math supports this view.

I think Math supports my view. When has Ameirca ever had a 100% voter particiaption rate?

Like I said, if my guy isn't in the race. In past races I would have just stayed home on election day. Of course NOW is not like any elections in the past. Where as before I figured both parties equally controlling Washington would cancel each other out and would shield American from stupidity. Where as now, there is clearly one party that has some serious evil intentions, and can not be trusted with full control of our Government. So today I look at it different. However if the Choices come down to Mitt Romney or Nancy Pelosi(or any candidate as equally grotesque as these two.)
I would see no reason to show up and vote. We would be fucked either way. I would not celebrate either winning the election.

It's time the party hardliners start listening to the Independent thinkers. Not the other way around. From my perspective, it is the Party water carriers that are doing a disservice not us Independent voters.

Having said all of this, keep in mind, I fully support our two party system and think having a 3, 4 5 or more legit party tickets would be a disaster. The best us Indies can hope for, is exactly what happened with Trump. And might happen with the Democrat party if an Indy wins their nomination. I would much rather see our two parties morph into something else. Rather than the two parties splintering off into multiple parties. That's how Europe keeps the will of the people from happening in their elections.