A couple of wine recommendations in Ireland

By Patrick following x   2019 Jul 10, 12:31pm 195 views   19 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

Most wine sold in Ireland is shit. Even supposedly high end places like the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin have only so-so wine.

Il Vicolo in Galway is an excellent restaurant with excellent Italian wine. And it has a patio right on the Corrib River among the old buildings. Amazing.

But for a really stellar wine and food experience, visit Ely wine bar in Dublin, just a block from the Shelbourne. It's in a basement, but the quality more than makes up for it.

Update: added links to Il Vicolo and Ely websites above.

1   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2019 Jul 10, 4:59pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Most wine sold in Ireland is shit.

Maybe it's a sign you should drink beer when visiting?
2   Rin   ignore (4)   2019 Jul 10, 5:00pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Visit Adelaide in Australia. All the places there have the best Aussie wines.
3   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 10, 5:04pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If it gets you shitfaced, it's Irish!
4   Rin   ignore (4)   2019 Jul 10, 5:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says
If it gets you shitfaced, it's Irish!

Just get a bottle of hard liquor and forget the wine stuff for that.
5   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (5)   2019 Jul 10, 5:25pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

They have excellent wines.

They are called Guinness and Jameson.

The Irish are outstanding at getting drunk.

Speaking of which, I’m German, Irish, and American Indian. Born with the trifecta of alcoholism.
6   HEYYOU   ignore (27)   2019 Jul 10, 5:30pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CovfefeButDrunk?

Patrick,
When will we be expecting our souvenir bottle?
7   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 10, 8:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CovfefeButDeadly says

The German dilutes it a bit. Germans never want to be too drunk to aim a machine gun.
8   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 6:00am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

A couple of wine recommendations in Ireland

???? Wine in Ireland? Maybe next you could go to Napa Valley for some good stout beer.
9   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:34am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OK, true, but having lived in California for 20 years, I'm used to good wine, and that's what I prefer.

Maybe the Guinness is slightly better in Ireland than in the US, but not dramatically. Though one bartender (at Murphy's on the main pedestrian street in Galway) told me he pours a "savage" pint. Which was pretty funny, because it's a very slow traditional place, couple of old men loitering there all day.

Jameson is Jameson everywhere. Scotch drinkers look down on it, though I always like it. It does not vary.

But wine -- that's a real adventure, and the best wine is really worth paying for. Wine varies dramatically.

Many people did indeed seem to get shitfaced in Ireland. I watched a group of three older women on Inis Oírr drink three bottles, so a bottle of vodka each. Each! I'd need hospitalization after that. I can drink a bottle of wine no problem, but damn.

Now I'm in Chicago visiting relatives on the way back to CA.
10   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Jul 11, 7:36am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Are you going up North tomorrow for the big holiday? hahahaha
11   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:37am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The Orange Parade? I don't think I'd feel welcome.
12   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:40am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I took this photo of the Orange Hall when I was in Belfast two years ago.

Note that all the windows are covered with mesh to prevent people from throwing rocks through the windows.

13   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Jul 11, 7:41am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There's nothing like a good Celtic Row. It's traditional. ;)
14   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:41am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Crap, I hate how iPhones do you the unwanted "favor" of rotating pictures without asking.
15   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Jul 11, 7:43am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I forget whether the bonfires are tonight or tomorrow.

Anyway, the British really did dick things up with United Irishmen and Wolfe Tone and a half dozen other opportunities to normalize Ireland as another Kingdom of the British Isles. Sad to think about.
16   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:48am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I was just reading about the Catholic Church was complicit in killing off Irish Gaelic as the dominant language too.

The English gave them money for a Catholic seminary at Maynooth, but with the condition that everything be in English. Bastards took the money and betrayed the language.

The English were actually more afraid of the Irish language as a cause for separatists than they were afraid of Catholicism.
17   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 10:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HonkpilledMaster says
There's nothing like a good Celtic Row. It's traditional. ;)

Heh, Heh! I guess I got the 'calmer' genes from the other half.
18   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2019 Jul 11, 12:02pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Never order Fish at a Steakhouse. I'm just sayin'
19   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2019 Jul 11, 12:05pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CovfefeButDeadly says
Speaking of which, I’m German, Irish, and American Indian.

OK Elizebeth Gunther McGee.